The Day Camp At Plum Creek
A Christian Adventure Camp
550 Center New Texas Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15239
Frequently Asked Questions
Presbyterian Church of Plum Creek's Web Site
"The Day Camp at Plum Creek" is an adventure day camp for elementary and Jr High aged children (grades 1-9),
which features a low-ropes approach to Christian education. The challenge activities will include
elements such as a low-ropes course, climbing tower, zip line, and mountain boarding.
Campers will not only participate in the adventure elements; they will also take part in daily devotionals,
nature education, arts & crafts, drama & music, team sports, praise & worship, faith experiences,
elective activities, offsite field trips, and much more.
The Day Camp does not have overnight facilities for either staff or campers.
(Applications are posted below.)
- Summer Day Camp Director --
Supervision and administration of overall summer camp program,
including the training, mentoring, and supervision of the camp staff.
Must possess a Bachelor's Degree. Experience in leading Christian ministry and camp management is a plus.
- Counselor -- The counselor mentors & guides campers in Christian faith & practice. He/she has a responsibility for campers’ safety and spiritual growth while working together with the Summer Day Camp Director. He/she serves as a teacher & is a role model of Christian discipleship. He/she helps campers to explore & expand their trust and reliance on others. He/she assists campers to learn to solve problems. He/she must be a minimum of 18 years old and a high school graduate. One year of college completed is desirable.
- Counselor In Training (CIT) -- CITs function as support personnel for campers under the mentorship of a specific assigned counselor. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to participating in camper Bible studies, helping campers to rest rooms or to the nurse’s station, assisting campers’ safety, leading rotation activities, i.e. crafts, music, games (this does not include Adventure Course elements). Minimum of 16 years old by the end of the summer, or entering their junior year of high school.
- Summer Support Staff -- This is an unpaid position. Summer Support Staff function as “behind the scenes” workers to prepare for camp activities. Their efforts do not directly involve interaction with campers and counselors. Minimum of 13 years old by the end of the summer, or entering the eighth grade.
- Reference Forms -- All 4 forms in .pdf format.
Volunteers 18 years and older are required to obtain Pennsylvania Clearances. Please see the Clearance Application Directions for Volunteers page.
NOTE: If you have lived outside of Pennsylvania at any time within the past 10 years, then, even as a volunteer, you must apply for the Federal (FBI) Criminal History Report. College and military service count if you lived outside Pennsylvania.
Otherwise, as a Day Camp volunteer, you are not required to apply for the Federal (FBI) Criminal History Report. Please print and sign this Day Camp Volunteer Affirmation form and submit it along with your other clearance forms.
All Staff personnel, except Summer Support Staff, are required to obtain and show current Pennsylvania Criminal Background Check, Child Abuse Clearance, and Federal (FBI Fingerprint) Criminal History Report clearances prior to the start of staff training week.
If you do not already have current clearances, you may use the links on the Clearances Page to apply for them. Apply for your Criminal Background Check first, then your Child Abuse History Clearance, then your Federal (FBI Fingerprint) Criminal History Report. Apply and pay for these clearances online, then visit an approved fingerprint site.Pennsylvania Deptment of Human Services Website - Child Abuse History Clearance Instructions.
A Vision of Rev. Dr. John J. Lolla, Jr.
|Copyright © 2007-2018, The Day Camp At Plum Creek, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. [ 07-June-2018 ]|